Saturday, October 22, 2011

What all of this means to me...

It's been a really interesting process of trying to explore what music is to me over these past however many weeks... Sitting down with my guitar is something that seems impossible to define. "Music is a natural instinct in man" (The Power of Music) Music means different things to everyone and each person has different passions. Though we all have our own appreciations for music such as green day, record players, pink floyd and music-so-weird-I-have-no-idea-how-she-found-it there is a reason I'm the only one of my 5 flatmates to be found sitting in the sun on the balcony playing my guitar regularly or quietly strumming away on my bed singing to myself, there is an intrinsic bond between me and my music.


A paper last year drew me to thinking about the essence of humanity. I've come to the conclusion that my deep connection to music is because it is part of the essence of my humanity. Though it may be an isolating activity at times it allows me to ground and collect myself so that I can become fit to participate in society. As a teenager it was not acceptable for me to yell at my father or speak to him in a tone while angry or in the grips of a particularly feisty bout PMS, instead I would go to my piano and play for however long it took to sooth my soul and then I would be once again able to rejoin my family. I'm sure forensic testing would show traces of my tears on the keys from a number of occasions including after a breakup when all I could do was play and cry till it was out of my system.


Ambience, ergonomics, affordances and practical considerations all rolled into one only begin to scratch the surface of what engaging in music really means, to me at least. Some people are driven to draw, others to write articles and crave knowledge. Personally I am content so long as music is never far from my side. I'll never be a famous musician nor will my music soothe the hearts of millions as the only heart it is commissioned to soothe is my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment