Saturday, October 1, 2011

October 1 An insight into quiet time with my guitar

As a mood filled with melancholy sweeps over me and I feel myself sinking into a sense of sorrow, the next logical step is to reach behind me and collect the solid black case from the head of my bed. The touch of the plastic handle and familiar weight and balance are a reassuring reminder of times gone by. The solid silver clasps come undone with a flick and an audible thump thanks to the springs in them, revealing my baby in all her glory. The plus aqua lining of the case contrasts and caresses the dark rich polished wood inside. Easing my hands around the neck I bring my guitar out of her hibernation. 


Before sitting down I collect my capo, just as fond of a friend as the guitar now nestled in my lap. Each string is tested to see it is perfectly pitched with the others so that each strum produces a magical combination of notes. My fingers move in familiar patterns over each string to exact the perfect note and to follow the tune playing in my mind. Each chord builds on the last and slowly creates a sense of peace within me. The empty house slowly fills with discarded notes and chords and I picture a jumble of animated notes laying at the bottom of the stairs as I continue to play and sing. 


Mournful songs sate my sorrowful desires that give way to songs that follow a different tune, strumming elopes from slow and heavyhearted to carefree and upbeat. The music drips from my fingers as my soul embraces it, feeling the peace and happiness once again filling me from within. Sorrow is removed from my surroundings as I give myself as equally to the music as it gives itself to me. As I drift closer to reality once again I continue to play. Now I overlook the street and my gaze is first captured by unfamiliar faces passing by, soon they give way to the attention of the clouds changing in the sky. 


My mind is clear and satisfied as I strum a closing chord before tenderly returning my guitar to the embrace of aqua velvet, closing the lid and setting the clasps in place to send her back to slumber. I'll wait until she calls to me once more to caress the smooth dark wood again and to feel the magic of the music consume my soul.

3 comments:

  1. IS this your own work???? its like a story out of a book!!!! nice work!!!!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yea it is. Thanks =)

    You know the thing we had to do in class where we wrote 1 page about the last time we played. It pretty much summarises how I'm drawn to music and what music is to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'tis true; I agree with Matt(ilicious)this is cool. BUT have you related it to stuff that is related to the stuff in class?
    You know, that stuff?? (need this fills in my life, practical considerations yada yada?)

    ReplyDelete